Sunday, December 3, 2017

Day 3 - Help others on the sabbath.

December 1 thru December 25 I am posting about movies which reflect each day's focus for #LightTheWorld.


Day 3

"Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days." (Matthew 12:12)


Over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, I finally watched Chariots of Fire (1981). This film is listed in Roger Ebert's book 33 Movies to Restore Your Faith in Humanity. There is much to like about this movie, but for the sake of today's topic, I will touch on just part of the story.

Based on actual events, one of the runners featured in the film, Eric Liddell a devout Christian, believes his athletic ability is a gift from God and running is a way he honors Him. When Eric reaches the 1924 Olympics in Paris, he makes a stand... he will not run on Sunday even though it is a qualifier for his main race, the 100 meter. A teammate generously gives up his own spot in the 400 meter, allowing Eric to compete in a race that will take place on Tuesday, rather than Sunday.

When the sabbath day arrives, Eric gives a sermon at the Paris Church of Scotland, and shares from Isaiah 40:31 (one of my favorite verses in Isaiah): But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Many mistakenly believe Eric will struggle in the 400 meter since he is better trained for the 100, but when Tuesday rolls around, he demonstrates that his physical strength matches his inner strength.

Trailer: Chariot's of Fire

On Sundays, there are many activities I avoid, but sometimes I get too focused on what I want to rest from (work!) and overlook the many things I can do, especially in service to others.

Today, I will do well on the sabbath. Besides attending church, choir rehearsal, and a meeting, I am helping someone (which, for the sake of anonymity, I will not post about here).

No comments:

Post a Comment