Saturday, December 2, 2017

Day 2 - Quench someone's thirst.

December 1 thru December 25 I am posting about movies which reflect each day's focus for #LightTheWorld.

Day 2 

"I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink." (Matthew 25:35)


That verse makes me reflect on a pivotal scene from Ben-Hur (1959) where Judah Ben-Hur (Charlton Heston), weak from thirst and denied water, desperately prays, "God... help me." He is given drink by Jesus, the Living Water.

Fandango Movieclips: Ben Hur - "Ben-Hur meets Jesus"

In The Miracle Worker (1962), Helen Keller (Patty Duke) thirsts for understanding. Her tutor, Annie Sullivan (Anne Bancroft) struggles to help her. In this scene, it seems symbolic that water is the key to opening the floodgate of communication for Helen.

Fandango Movieclips: The Miracle Work - "She knows!"

Sadly, many in the world thirst for clean water. I didn't realize until preparing for today's Light the World focus that "access to clean water has the single greatest impact on global poverty" (found here).


Today I will make a donation to an organization that helps provide safe water to communities in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment