Thursday, June 28, 2012

Bitten by the bug.

Last week we attended two live musical theater performances: A professional production of The Sound of Music at the Hale Centre Theatre, and a youth production of Les Misérables (School Edition) with the Riverton Arts Council.

I used to have a difficult time watching plays... because I wanted to be in them, rather than watch them. I was bitten by the acting bug when I was nine years old.  Our third-grade class put on a little skit and I thrilled at the applause and attention.  I went on to perform in plays while in junior high, high school, college, and then community theater.  At some point I lost the drive to be in plays and began to feel satisfied to watch them.

Perhaps because of my theater experience, one of my sisters gets my chosen career confused.  She eagerly tells people that I am a playwright. I correct her, "No...screenwriter."  Playwrights write plays. Screenwriters write films.

Why am I driven towards writing and filmmaking more so than theater work?  Because although the acting bug bit me when I was age nine, a fascination with movies and the writing bug bit me at eight.


No comments:

Post a Comment