Monday, April 25, 2016

Unfamiliar Films

Blogging from A to Z Challenge.
Theme: Making movie lines our own.



Unfamiliar Films

Sometimes called "sleepers," film critic Leonard Maltin defines unfamiliar films as "any movie that failed to find a large audience." I discussed his book 151 Best Movies You've Never Seen as I kicked off last year's (2015) A to Z Challenge in a post titled Audience. At that time, I had only seen three of the 151 little-known films, but I have since watched several more, bringing my total to nine.

In keeping with my theme for this year's challenge, here are lines of dialogue from those nine "unfamiliar" films.

(I've written "My Take" on some of these, and have included links to those reviews.)

In alphabetical order...

The Great Buck Howard (2008)...
(Click here for My Take)


BUCK HOWARD (John Malkovich)
That's distilled water. I am not an iron.


The Greatest Game Ever Played (2005)...


FRANCIS OUIMET (Shia LaBeouf)
All I want is a chance.


Hidalgo (2004)...


FRANK T. HOPKINS (Viggo Mortensen)
Get out of here mister. Leave me be.

YUSEF (Harsh Nayyar)
This is not possible... I was charged with
the crime of stealing milk.
As punishment I have been assigned
to the American and his horse.

FRANK T. HOPKINS
You're working for me?

YUSEF
It was this or be removed of my left hand.
The future will tell if I have chosen poorly.


Matchstick Men (2003)...


ROY (Nicolas Cage)
For some people, money is... money is
a foreign film without subtitles.


The Mighty (1998)...


KEVIN (Kieran Culkin)
Think of it as a business partnership:
you need brains, and I need legs --
and the Wizard of Oz doesn't
live in South Cincinnati.


October Sky (1999)...


O'DELL (Chad Lindberg)
God's honest truth, Homer. What are the
chances... a bunch of kids from Coalwood...
actually winning the National Science Fair?

A million to one, O'Dell.

O'DELL
That good? Well, why didn't you say so?


One Fine Day (1996)...


JACK TAYLOR (George Clooney)
My attitude is derived from your attitude.

MELANIE PARKER (Michelle Pfeiffer)
"Derived", you must be a writer.


The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio (2005)...
(Click here for My Take)


EVELYN RYAN (Julianne Moore)
You know what the worst part of it is?

MRS. BIDLACK (Susan Merson)
What?

EVELYN RYAN
A quart of milk got
sucked up inside my girdle.


The World's Fastest Indian (2005)...
(Click here for My Take)
WARREN (Tim Farmer)
These brakes, they're completely inadequate.

BURT MUNRO (Anthony Hopkins)
I'm planning on going, not stopping.


Were any of these films unfamiliar to you? 

(As with any film, I encourage checking parental guides before viewing. A list of helpful links are posted on the side of this blog.)

9 comments:

  1. After reading your post, I had to go check out that list. Turns out I've seen 2 of the 151 (October Sky and One Fine Day). Love the quotes you picked! Especially the one from Hidalgo. Too funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I marked the films in the book that I want to watch, and think, "So many movies, so little time."

      Delete
  2. Yes, they are mostly unfamiliar except One Fine Day, which I have watched in a theatre in a previous life. Here from the A-z and wish you all the best for the rest of the challenge,
    Nilanjana.
    Ninja Minion, A-Z 2016
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! It feels good to be in the final stretch of the A to Z Challenge. Best to you, too!

      Delete
  3. Can't stop laughing! I have seen Hidalgo, The Prizewinner of Defiance Ohio, One Fine Day and October Sky, but not the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think after I finish the A to Z Challenge, I might block out a week to veg in front of movies for awhile, including some of the unfamiliar ones listed in the book. :-)

      Delete
  4. Can't stop laughing! I have seen Hidalgo, The Prizewinner of Defiance Ohio, One Fine Day and October Sky, but not the others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen Hildago, One Fine Day and October Sky. I used October Sky as a treat after exams for students to gather in my classroom to watch.
    I understand about content in films. You would think some curse words were used like the verb "to be" in normal conversation. Cheers. Visiting from A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. October Sky is a great film for students. Inspiring.

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete