Friday, April 15, 2016

Mustard! Don't let's be silly.

Blogging from A to Z Challenge.
Theme: Making movie lines our own.


"Mustard! Don't let's be silly."

From Walt Disney's Alice In Wonderland  (1951):

During the tea party scene, Mad Hatter grabs the White Rabbit's pocket watch and announces it is two days slow. He dips it in the teapot, opens it, dumps salt on, and flips the inner workings out with a fork. 

The rabbit watches in horror, "but, but, but, but.." to which the Mad Hatter responds, "Butter! Of course, it needs butter!" He slathers it on, pours tea over the mess, then jabs two spoons into the concoction, and adds jam. Then...


MARCH HARE
Mustard?

MAD HATTER
Mustard. Yes...mus...
Mustard! Don't let's be silly.

It's crazy nonsense. And the kids loved it.

I like mustard, especially on hamburgers and hot dogs (which I love charred). No mayo, no ketchup. Just meat and bun with mustard. 

Still, even after all these years with kids grown and gone, when the mustard bottle comes out of the fridge we usually exclaim, "Mustard! Don't let's be silly." 

(Here's the nutty scene...)


4 comments:

  1. I, too, am a mustard fan. I don't like ketchup on my burgers and hot dogs. Just mustard! Here's to MUSTARD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second the motion… Here's to mustard! Golden goodness on a bun.

      Delete
  2. I think of this line every time I pull out the mustard, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because great minds think alike. ;-)

      Delete