Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Es-ca-pay.

Blogging from A to Z Challenge.
Theme: Making movie lines our own.


"Es-ca-pay."

In Finding Nemo (2003), Marlin (Albert Brooks, voice) and Dory (Ellen DeGeneres, voice) desperately seek a way out of a sunken ship to avoid being shark bait. They come upon a hatch labeled ESCAPE and Dory says, "Look, here's something! Es-ca-pay. I wonder what that means. It's funny, it's spelled just like the word escape..."



I love that pronunciation and adopt it into my vocabulary.

Recently, I delivered a vehicle to a car dealership (one of my part-time jobs), gave the key to the manager, then lingered outside. A co-worker, also done with his delivery, asked, "What did you drive this time?"

"An Es-ca-pay," I answered.

Blank stare.

Pointing, "The blue Es-ca-pay over there!"

Confused look.

So, I dropped the Dory-ese and reverted to English, "The Ford Escape."

"Oh."

I tried to explain about the scene with Dory, but his polite (but weak) "heh heh" reminded me that speaking in movie lines loses its punch in translation.

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately some people have never seen the movie! I love the scene. And Dory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Dory, too. She had the best scenes.

      Delete