Monday, August 27, 2012

"Block" Buster: Go ahead, make mistakes!

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.  Art is knowing which ones to keep."  ~Scott Adams

Fear of making mistakes is a major block for many creative artists. But sometimes what we view as a mistake turns out to be a favorite piece. We look at it with fresh eyes and go, "Wow!"

I remember an art assignment while in the eighth grade. We were instructed to create a picture using water colors, then let droplets of India ink splatter onto the color. I followed the instructions, but mine looked ugly, to me. Frustrated, I folded the four corners of the paper in until they met in the center, then smashed my fist against each of the four folded edges.

My best friend kept me from throwing it in the trash. I still needed it... to show I had attempted the assignment. So, I unfolded the paper, put my name on the back, and placed it to dry with all the other artwork.

Imagine my surprise when I attended an art show at the school a week later and a classmate ran up to me, "You won first place!" Huh? I didn't enter anything! She took me to the Abstract Art display and pointed. I didn't recognize it at first, and checked for my name. Yep, it was mine. My art teacher submitted it for me, and named it "Craters."

Smashing it with my fist had made the India ink fan out, and when it dried, it formed what appeared to be craters of the moon with pale water color background.

My "mistake" was a winner.

Go ahead, make mistakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment