Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Action!: Photography in the Parks

It's Wednesday... time to tell you what I've been up to.

Remember when I posted about the Free Digital Camera or Video Workshops?  Well, on August 2nd, I went to a workshop at Grand Teton National Park.  It was perfect timing since my family reunion in Idaho was scheduled for August 3-5, less than a two hour drive from the park.

We got lost - ahem - we took a scenic detour route on the way to Jackson Hole, but I arrived in time to register for the last class.  I admit, I was wishy-washy about what I wanted to do... still photography or video? My camera or theirs?  Back and forth I went, until I finally opted for video with one of their nice cameras (free!), but dragged my camcorder with me "just in case."

Here's a photo:













Impressed?  Me too.  I only wish I had taken the shot!

Sigh.  I had grand ideas about posting some of my clips on here to show you what I've been up to, but oh my goodness, I was soooo rusty with my camera skills.  I told the instructor, "I better not quit my day job!"

That night, as I drifted off to sleep, I suddenly remembered in a panic... I neglected to delete some embarrassingly awful shots before returning their camera!  Yikes, would any of the Canon employees see it?  Worse yet, would the link they provide for me, to retrieve the clips, be public? Gulp.

I agonized over the accidental footage taken while the camera dangled around my neck...having forgotten to stop the recording.  Yep, almost two minutes of grass, shoes, shadows, and some close ups of weird fuzzy burrs stuck to my instructor's pant legs!

All in all, though, it was a great experience and helped me remember how much I love taking video (and still shots) even, and maybe especially, when it's just for fun.

Now, I need to dust off my own camera and practice, practice, practice. Practice pushing the button to stop recording!


1 comment: