Monday, August 13, 2012

"Block" Buster: Fight Resistance

Something disturbing I read in The War of Art by Steven Pressfield:

"You know, Hitler wanted to be an artist. At eighteen he took his inheritance, seven hundred kronen, and moved to Vienna to live and study. He applied to the Academy of Fine Arts and later to the School of Architecture. Ever seen one of his paintings? Neither have I. Resistance beat him. Call it overstatement but I’ll say it anyway: it was easier for Hitler to start World War II than it was for him to face a blank square of canvas."

If that's true, it's a frightening thought for me as I struggle in the war of art. It's so easy to avoid projects and blank pages, but what will I become if I turn away from creating?   

Pressfield also states:
"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."

Have a creative block? You better darn well believe Resistance helped put it there. Fight it. Fight Resistance, not the world.

1 comment: