Saturday, January 10, 2009

TAKE (the movie)



TAKE (2007), starring Minnie Driver.  The writer/director (Charles Oliver) created a film that contains a strong message of revenge (as in those that seek revenge can become destroyed themselves) and forgiveness.  The film contains no nudity, no profanity, and minimal violence.  However, the movie is very intense and at times disturbing.  Oliver did a superb job in creating tension and anxiety through the use of space, color, and setting.  
Charles Oliver spoke to a group of film students at the U of U.  I was privileged to be a part of that group.  He explained that an approved PG-13 version was showing at the cinema that weekend, so I took advantage of the opportunity to see it.  
WOW!  Now that is the type of movie I am talking about when I say "quality film."  It carried a great message in a powerful way.  I rarely cry while watching movies, but rivulets of tears streamed down my cheeks during this one.  It yanked emotions out of me, and left an impact.  I think it is the best movie I have seen in a long, long time.  

1 comment: