Monday, April 20, 2020

Quirky characters.

Blogging from A to Z Challenge


Theme: Humor in film -- what makes me laugh:


Quirky characters.

Many of us have little quirks--behaviors others might find odd. My husband comments, "We're all a bunch of funny little ducks."

Nearly every character in Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016) is quirky. What an unusual and fun film!

Movieclips Trailer: Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Mary Horowitz (Sandra Bullock) is a quirky character in All About Steve (2009) and she comes across numerous eccentric people in her travels.

In my previous post I shared a clip from Rat Race (2001). That film is filled with wacky characters, including a guy named Enrico Pollini portrayed by Rowan Atkinson.

Rowan specializes in quirky characters... Mr. Bean, and Johnny English for examples.

During the 2016 A to Z Challenge I posted about quirky lines (found here), but some quirky characters don't have to say a word to make me laugh. We recently watched Spies in Disguise (2019) and one oddball pigeon went around with a red lollipop stuck to the top of its head and it cracked me up. (The sucker gets stuck to its head at the beginning of this clip, and is seen in various parts throughout.)

It reminded me of the quirky chicken that tagged along with Moana (2016). Click here for a mashup of Hei Hei goofy moments.

Odd characters add humor, even in drama and action films. I'd love to hear about your favorite quirky characters!

4 comments:

  1. I hate to say it, but quirky characters irritate me. I think the actors who play them equate "quirky" with "annoying."

    ReplyDelete
  2. @John ... Thanks for sharing your viewpoint! It's given me food for thought... when I've come across an annoying character, I wonder if it was actually supposed to be a quirky one, but the actor cross over into annoying instead. I'll try to pay more attention to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moonrise Kingdom, a Wes Anderson film, is filled with quirky characters. The main character of Sam, a young boy who escapes from Scout camp and makes a rendezvous with his young love, is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sue ... Moonrise Kingdom is another movie I have on my list of movies to watch but still haven't gotten around to it. I need to start blocking out more movie time!

    ReplyDelete