Monday, March 19, 2018

Theme Reveal: Guess the movies from the taglines!

Blogging from A to Z Challenge

Theme Reveal!

Guess the movies from the taglines!


What are taglines? The short catch-phrases used to advertise films, often found on the posters.

Each day for the April A to Z Challenge, I will post 4 movie taglines. You can guess which movies they belong to. The movie titles will begin with the letter of the day (not counting articles such as "the" and "a").

Guessing movies simply based on the taglines will be tough, especially if your memory is shot... like mine, so I will also post the film titles and you can match them to the taglines.

Here's a teaser:

Hint #1: Today's movies start with the letter...


(Spoiler alert: These are linked to the IMDb list of taglines for the movie.)

Theater 1
Theater 2
Theater 3

Theater 4

Hint #2: The taglines belong to these movies...

A. Barton Fink (1991)
B. Beauty and the Beast (2017)
C. Black Panther (2018)
D. A Bug's Life (1998)


Answers coming up...




Answers:
Theater 1: A
Theater 2: D
Theater 3: B
Theater 4: C


Don't worry, on April 2, there will be different movies beginning with the letter B.

I tried to select clever taglines, or phrases that seemed "spot on" for the film's concept. Not all movies referenced during this challenge are quality or family-friendly, but I appreciate their creative taglines.

Some films didn't make the cut because their taglines were not listed on IMDb (I wanted a single source, to limit confusion), or were too specific (giving away the title), or were too generic (Based on a true story!... yah, like that narrows the field).

Some are newer, some are classic, but hopefully, even if you haven't seen the film, you've heard of it.

Join me at the movies in April. Admission is free. Bring popcorn. (I already ate mine.)

17 comments:

  1. Hi Trudy - these sound like fun - I'll enjoy looking at the taglines and see what movies attach! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilary! I am excited to read your posts too! So many adventures ahead.

      Delete
  2. so it will be four movies each time? I think I would prefer one movie and a hint about the movie but that's me. but this sounds fun. I'll come by to take a guess.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, four movies each time. One movie at a time might have been a saner route, but I found it difficult to choose only one tagline!

      Delete
  3. Such a simple and fun idea, look forward to guessing the movies :-)
    https://iainkellywriting.com/2018/03/19/the-a-to-z-challenge-2018-theme-reveal/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I hope you'll enjoy the guessing. Let me know how you do during the challenge!

      Delete
  4. This looks like fun - I may have to steal the idea for family trivia night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have oodles of tagline trivia by the end of the challenge. Steal away, and enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Well - I'm useless at things like this, so I'll be along each day to learn some more movie trivia - meanwhile I'll be feeling very Zen over on my blog during the Challenge.
    Leanne | cresting the hill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can get a chuckle out of some of the taglines when you visit. Does laughter help with feeling Zen?

      Delete
  6. Well, this is different! I'm going to be eating a lot of popcorn during April.

    My A-Z Challenge 2018 Reveal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your culinary skills, I bet it will be gourmet popcorn!

      Delete
  7. This sounds like so much fun, even though I'm sure I'll be terrible at it. I'm bookmarking so I can follow along and I'm going to send this to my movie-buff sister, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will be fun, and maybe provide a few laughs. Thanks for passing it along to your sister!

      Delete
  8. bahaha It could be QUITE the challenge trying to figure out the movie simply based on the initial letter and "Based on a true story!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for sure! During my research, I was amazed at how many movies used such generic taglines.

      Delete
  9. Fun, playful activity for one of my favorite things! I'll be following your blog in April.

    ReplyDelete