Friday, October 5, 2012

Comic Relief: Funny surprise scenes.


Sometimes humor comes from a simple understatement, like a scene in Quigley Down Under (1990), where Matthew Quigley (Tom Selleck), responds to an ad for a sharp shooter, is beaten to a pulp and left for dead in the Australian desert, along with an outcast woman named Crazy Cora.

Crazy Cora: Don't worry, on a new job it's quite common for things not to go well at first.


I love when a film surprises me with a twist or something unexpected, especially if it's funny.  For instance, in The Emperor's New Groove (2000), when Yzma drinks a vial of potion.  I was expecting the typical Disney formula where the evil person grows larger and more menacing, but no, Yzma turns into a kitten.

Yzma: (squeaky voice) Looking for this?
(clutching her throat)
Is that my voice?
(coughs)
Is that my voice? Oh well.


As I reflect on films I've seen this year, I think my favorite comedic surprise for 2012 was in The Avengers.  Loki (Tom Hiddleston) thinks himself above those of earth.  He is a demigod and demands "You will kneel before me."  As he wreaked havoc, I wondered if it would take something nuclear to defeat him.  But it only took The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo).

Loki: Enough! You are, all of you are beneath me! I am a god, you dull creature, and I shall not be bullied by... 
(The Hulk grabs him like a rag doll... bam, bam, bam...swings him back and forth bashing him into the floor.)
The Hulk: Puny god.
(The Hulk leaves Loki, weakly moaning, in his crater in the floor.)


What are your favorite funny surprise scenes?


No comments:

Post a Comment