Friday, October 5, 2012

Comic Relief: Funny surprise scenes.

Sometimes humor comes from a simple understatement, like a scene in Quigley Down Under (1990), where Matthew Quigley (Tom Selleck), responds to an ad for a sharp shooter, is beaten to a pulp and left for dead in the Australian desert, along with an outcast woman named Crazy Cora.

CRAZY CORA
Don't worry, on a new job it's quite common
for things not to go well at first.

I love when a film surprises me with a twist or something unexpected, especially if it's funny. For instance, in The Emperor's New Groove (2000), when Yzma drinks a vial of potion. I was expecting the typical Disney formula where the evil person grows larger and more menacing, but no, Yzma turns into a kitten.

YZMA:
(squeaky voice)
Looking for this?
(clutching her throat)
Is that my voice?
(coughs)
Is that my voice? Oh well.

As I reflect on films I've seen this year, I think my favorite comedic surprise for 2012 was in The Avengers. Loki (Tom Hiddleston) thinks himself above those of earth. He is a demigod and demands "You will kneel before me." As he wreaked havoc, I wondered if it would take something nuclear to defeat him. But it only took The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo).

LOKI
Enough! You are, all of you are beneath me!
I am a god, you dull creature,
and I shall not be bullied by... 

(The Hulk grabs him like a rag doll... bam, bam, bam...
swings him back and forth bashing him into the floor.)

THE HULK
Puny god.

(Loki weakly moans from the crater in the floor.)

What are your favorite funny surprise scenes?

No comments:

Post a Comment