Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Movies reflect human needs: Love

Blogging from A to Z Challenge

ThemeMovies reflect human needs...

Love

Image from storyblocks.com

I suddenly want to sing the Beatles song... ♪ "Love, Love, Love ... all you need is love..." ♪, and start quoting things such as "Love is a many splendored thing." 

The need for love is universal.

 "Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." (Dalai Lama)

"Where there is love there is life." (Mahatma Gandhi)
Two movies hold a special place in my heart because my husband and I fell in love through writing letters for a year before we even had a first date...
Other favorites portraying romantic love:
  • Only You (1994)
  • Princess Bride (1987)
  • Return to Me (2000)
    • I wrote a review for this film during my first A to Z Challenge (in 2015). You can find it here. This film also represents familial love, and loving friendships.
When I think about love within family relationships, these come to mind:
Love between friends:
I'm not sure if it was Mia or her human (blog: Mia - Dog On Adventures) who asked me if I would be sharing any movies with dogs. I did, indeed, have a few planned for upcoming posts, but realized love for animals/pets fits wonderfully with this topic, so this is for you, Mia!

What movies would you add for a topic of love? 


(Note: The movies listed might not be completely family-friendly. See my "Movie Content" information on the blog's sidebar.)

20 comments:

  1. These are all great! I like the way you listed them out by the type of love they portray. Babe is definitely a family favorite over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a bit carried away with my lists... especially when it came to animals/pets. They have a way of becoming part of the family and give us unconditional love.

      Delete
  2. What an amazing list. I'm not a great movie fan, so I don't know half of them, I'm afraid.
    I'll add in Wallace and Gromit for a dog's love for his keeper :)

    Thanks for visiting my guest post today.

    Jemima Pett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Wallace and Gromit! Thanks for suggesting that one.

      Delete
  3. Good list, who doesn't like a bit of love? If Ihad to add one, I would go with 'When Harry Met Sally', a really funny but realistic look at love and relationships.
    https://iainkellywriting.com/2021/04/14/the-state-trilogy-a-z-guide-l/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen that movie in ages! That's going on my "want to see again" list. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I always loved the movie "Return To Me." It was an interesting premise, a man falling in love with the recipient of his wife's heart, and the casting was next to perfect. And, of course, it was set in Chicago...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the very few movies that we've purchased over the years. There's so much to love about it. I didn't realize (or had forgotten) it was set in Chicago!

      Delete
  5. Romantic comedies are probably my favorite genre. There are so many to choose from. My favorite is When Harry Met Sally, but for this post I'll go with Wimbledon. It's a small little movie with Paul Bettany and Kirsten Dunst but I just love it. I think it has a lot of family love in it too. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Wimbledon! I'm going to keep my eye open for that. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. We all love a good love story in a film. I enjoy so many of them, but I thought of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." Yes, much of it is about the bride's eccentric family, but at the core of it is a really lovely courtship and falling in love between Toula and Ian. It's now a classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much to love about that movie... thanks for adding it!

      Delete
  7. Your mention of The Four Seasons made me think of the movie 'Same Time Next Year" with Alan Alda and Ellen Burstyn. Although of course I am opposed to the concept of sleeping with someone else when you are married, it was a good movie I thought.

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been awhile since I've seen "Same Time Next Year" but I recall Alda doing a great job in the role.

      I am a fan of Alan Alda and read his memoir, "Never Have Your Dog Stuffed: And Other Things I've Learned." (Did you know he contracted polio when he was a child?) He's amazing.

      Delete
  8. Ah, thank you for adding love for animals onto your list, and the mention, honoured! I feel many of the movies are bittersweet because our animals die too soon so I usually cry on these movies... but then, maybe that's part of their charm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you saw the post!

      Pets become such a part of the family. Our grandchildren have two dogs and I dread the day those doggies depart this life because I know the kids will be heartbroken. Hopefully they will be able to draw from the memories of all the joyous times with their beloved animals.

      Delete
  9. I agrre with Jemima choice ;) Thank you for your list, I know some of them, but not so many! Today it's raining, a good time for good movie ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think rainy days and good movies go well together, too.

      Delete
  10. Trudy,

    Sleepless in Seattle came to mind right off the bat. Oh...how about "Oh Heavenly Dog" with Chevy Chase and Jane Seymour? That has animals and people. And, you know in the end the stars do fall in love sorta. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, I didn't appreciate Sleepless in Seattle the first time I saw it. But the second and third time... *swoon*.

      It's been years since I watched "Oh Heavenly Dog"! I really like that film, and want to see it again.

      Delete