Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Food in Film: Vegetables

Blogging from A to Z Challenge

A food addict and connoisseur of tasteful films reviews Food in Film, starring...

Vegetables

Do you recall the scene in Father of the Bride (1991) when the daughter is about to leave the house with her newly announced fiancé and the father, George Banks (Steve Martin), tells her it's nippy out and suggests she wear a sweater? She ignores his advice, but when the fiancé agrees and tells her it's cold out, she sweetly complies and takes her jacket.

That was our daughter with vegetables. We had to coax, beg, and bribe to get her to eat vegetables... then she got engaged. Suddenly the war on vegetables was over because her fiancé said they were good for her.

If children won't listen to their parents about vegetables being good for them, maybe they will listen to Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire). In Spider-Man 2 (2004), two boys witness Peter using his spider reflexes to avoid a terrible collision and ask:

AMAZED KID
How'd you do that?

PETER PARKER
Uh... Work out. Plenty of rest.
You know, eat your green vegetables.

AMAZED KID
That's what my mom is always saying.
I just never actually believed her!

Scene: Eat your green vegetables.

I like a wide variety of vegetables and will eat many of them raw. I have no problem with their taste, and usually don't "doctor" them up. So, in my daughter's defense, the vegetables I served were fairly plain. The important thing is that she loves vegetables now and her children--my grandbabies--love them, too! 

16 comments:

  1. I am picky about fruits and vegetables as my tastes have changed over the years. Plus my digestive system no longer likes raw veggies. My kids are all pretty good eaters when it comes to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, my changing tastebuds have not messed with my veggies. Whew.

      Delete
  2. I was forced fed greenbeans as a kid and I still can't stand them--otherwise I eat all vegetables.

    http://sagecoveredhills.blogspot.com/2017/04/v-is-for-venus.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understandable about the disdain for green beans under those circumstances. Good thing you can enjoy other green vegetables instead.

      Delete
  3. I love all vegetables :-) Now I have to watch "Father of the Bride" again... Happy A-to-Z-ing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Father of the Bride" is such a fun movie. I think this is the second time I referenced that film. (I used a clip when I posted about "Hot Dogs")

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I enjoy eating a lot of vegetables raw though I don't eat them like that very often. I tend to doctor up my veggies when I cook--I don't like plain tasting food all that much though my wife does. I'll often add chicken bullion or some kind of seasonings to perk of the flavor. Green beans slow cooked with bacon are one of my favorites.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm... green beans slow cooked with bacon. Some of my friends make it like that and I love it cooked that way, yet I never think to make it myself. Delicious!

      Notice the word "never"... I did that in reference to your N post. ;-)

      Delete
  5. One thing I have found since moving to the highlands is that a lot of people have a slight aversion to vegetables so I'm always suggesting to people to maybe try something new each week and that way they'll find something they like. As I don't eat meat I sort of have to love vegetables.

    Pamela @ Highlands Days of Fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is an aversion to vegetables a Highlands thing, or common throughout Scotland? I read somewhere that if we eat similar to how our ancestors ate, our bodies function better. I don't know if there is any truth to that, but it's made me curious about what kinds of food my Scottish ancestors ate.

      Delete
  6. I'm a big veggie fan, as you know. When I was a kid, though, I hated them. My mother would open up a can of say, green beans, place them in a pot with salt and simmer them for about 20 minutes. Yuck. The fresher and rawer the better for me. My Virtual Vineyard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll eat canned vegetables if that's all I have but I prefer fresh. Garden fresh is even better. (I have to beg off of friend's gardens though.)

      Delete
  7. Hi Trudy - I'm a huge veggie fan - always have fresh veggie ... and have a salad every day for lunch ... but I was lucky we were brought up after the war with fruit and veg from the garden, any extras were conserved ... well I'm glad it's all change now and the grandchildren are happily eating! ... Cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/w-is-for-whistlejacket.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love salads! I go through stages where I eat a salad every day, but in the winter I go more for cooked (steamed).

      Delete
  8. Trudy,

    Neither of us are finicky eaters and luckily our kids weren't either. I love all foods, including veggies! I remember DD#1 asking for spinach casserole for her 3rd bday. I know what's wrong with that kid, right? We still laugh about that now. You're so right about kids changing on a dime about something when that special someone enters their lives. All of sudden the boyfriend knows more than Daddy. I have yet to see my son use that argument against me. But...as parents we're usually wrong about something 99.99% of the time in one or more of our kids' eyes. They won't even begin to understand how stupid they are until they have children of their own and then like a light, they'll see things bright as day. :)

    Art Sketching Through the Alphabet “V” (Violin & Victorian Women)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's all a matter of perspective, huh. We looked pretty smart for a while after the kids moved out... but now as we get older, and we do some pretty silly things (run a dryer full of air because I forgot to put the clothes in) and the kids can start to wonder how they will take care of us! hahaha

      Delete