Monday, April 17, 2017

Food in Film: Nacho Cheese-flavored Chips

Blogging from A to Z Challenge

A food addict and connoisseur of tasteful films reviews Food in Film, starring...

… Nacho cheese-flavored chips

I was introduced to Doritos chips in the late 1960s, and that's my first recollection of eating like an addict. Seriously. I chowed on those chips until the bag was empty, and then devoured another bagful the next day, and the day after that. Finally, I reached a point where even the thought of eating Doritos made me sick, and I broke free.

But then... they came out with their nacho cheese-flavored chips in the mid-70s... and I had to try the new flavor, right?

So I can relate to the instant attraction the animals experience in Over the Hedge (2006) when RJ (Bruce Willis, voice) opens a bag of nacho cheese-flavored chips. Whoof. Cheese powder everywhere. They like it! And when Hammy (Steve Carell, voice) asks what is that, RJ responds:

RJ
That, my friend, is a magical combination
of corn flour, dehydrated cheese solids,
BHA, BHT, and good old MSG,aka:
the chip... nacho cheese-flavored.

The nuclear cloud of powdered cheese begins at approximately 0:40. Be careful. It's addicting.

Scene: Nacho cheese-flavor explosion.

16 comments:

  1. I've never seen the movie. Looks cute. I am not a chip addict of any kind. Too bad the clip ended up with some weird looking kid on my screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can handle regular tortilla chips, but the flavored ones... oh my.

      A weird looking kid on the screen? That is strange! I haven't seen that when I've watched the clip. I wonder if others see it.

      Delete
  2. It really caused a mushroom cloud. Wow. Hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That part--the mushroom cloud--cracks me up!

      Delete
  3. What a fun theme! I love food in films/books. I also love Doritos and nacho chips in general. I try to avoid them though, given all the chemicals. :P

    A to Z 2017: Magical and Medicinal Herbs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brothers and I used our allowances to buy the chips every day when we went swimming. Mom wouldn't buy them (and most packaged foods) because of the chemicals. She was wise beyond her years for the time period. I should have listened to her back then.

      Delete
  4. Haha, great retelling of the scene.

    Phillip | N is for Naked Don’t be alarmed – or disappointed – there is no nudity in today’s post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Also, thanks for the disclaimer you attached to your link!

      Delete
  5. Ah, BHA, BHT, and MSG, my three favorite foods...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not familiar with the movie but I am very familiar with Doritos, infact thanks to you I'm going to eat a packet right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing I don't have any around the house, or I'd be heading for them, too.

      Delete
  7. Love me a nacho cheese flavoured Dorito - in fact I love any kind of crisp (as you Americans call them - they're chips in Australia) because what's not to love about salt, fat, and flavouring? :)
    Leanne | cresting the hill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The salt and fat make chips tasty, but I can pass on those. If I get started on flavored chips, though... watch out.

      Delete
  8. Ha ha ha. That scene was hilarious!
    I'm a Cool Ranch flavor lover myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite the clever scene... that mushroom cloud of cheese powder and RJ's description of the chip make me laugh. (All those chemicals... painfully true... yet so tempting.)

      Delete