Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Food in Film: Jelly

Blogging from A to Z Challenge

A food addict and connoisseur of tasteful films reviews Food in Film, starring...

Jelly

When my children were young, a friend showed me how to make what she called "poor man's jelly" using unsweetened Flavor-Aid with apple juice. The juice takes on the flavor of the powdered drink mix. She liked to make that type of jelly (jam) when fruit was too expensive or not in season.

I chose cherry flavor for my batch of jelly. It was a huge hit at home and disappeared in a short amount of time.

To this day I am uncertain why I never made it again. It tasted fantastic, after all, unlike the jelly that Dr. Nefario and the Minions churn out in Despicable Me 2 (2013).

Scene: The jelly factory.

Has that ever happened to you... make something delicious once and never make it again?

12 comments:

  1. Oh, good grief yes. One time, I made key lime pie from scratch. Key limes are hard to come by where I live. They are smaller and harder than Persian limes, and thus difficult to juice. I had cut them into pieces and juice them with a garlic press!

    All told, it took nearly five hours to make that pie. It was beautiful, and delicious ... and between the expense of the key limes and the time investment, I decided never to do it again.

    Thanks for sharing your story!

    Sharon E. Cathcart
    Award-winning Author of Fiction featuring Atypical Characters
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five hours! I wouldn't make that again either. I didn't realize key lime pie was such a painstaking task!

      Delete
  2. I've never made jelly or jam. I'm intimidated by the canning process. It's the whole, "it can kill you if done wrong" thing. But, your version looks fun. I can see why it disappeared so fast. I've done that a few times where I've tried something that came out great, but never made it again.WeekendsInMaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "It can kill you if done wrong"... that reminded me of the one and only time I "canned" pickles. Someone showed me how to can them in the microwave. They turned out tasty but I was always too afraid to try it again.

      Delete
  3. Strawberry shortcake. Made it once, never tried to make it again though it was delish! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm... homemade strawberry shortcakes. Guess what I'm hankering for now?!?!

      Delete
  4. Im always making yummy things and then forgetten all about them!
    I tend to make different jam every year though, despite how delicious last years batch was.

    Believe In Fairy Stories: Theme - Folklore & Fairy Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wish I could forget about yummy things. HA! You make a different jam every year... if you repeated one, which one would you choose?

      Delete
  5. This jelly has piqued my curiosity. I think I will try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tired to find the directions or recipe I used to have for it, but I've lost it over the years. I didn't think to search on-line. If you give it a try, I would love to hear about it!

      Delete
  6. I made fig and apricot preserves the other day and while it tastes OK the color is off-putting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad the color isn't appealing. Fig and apricot sounds like a delicious combination!

      Delete