Friday, April 7, 2017

Food in Film: Fried Green Tomatoes

Blogging from A to Z Challenge

A food addict and connoisseur of tasteful films reviews Food in Film, starring...

Fried green tomatoes

I had never heard of this particular side dish until the release of Fried Green Tomatoes in 1991. We moved to the South a year later, and whenever I saw fried green tomatoes on a restaurant menu, I usually ordered them. Now we live in the West and they seem a rare treat.

Trailer: Fried Green Tomatoes

Last December, we went to Florida to visit our son and daughter-in-law. While wandering the Neptune Beach area, we went to the Flying Iguana, a restaurant specializing in unique tacos. One taco called "Dirty South" was filled with fried green tomato, black eyed "peaco" de gallo, pimenton cheese sauce, and baby arugula. It had me at fried green tomato.

And oh... my... goodness! The best taco ever!!

My mouth salivates right now as I type about the experience. I need to plan another trip to visit our son. Yeah, to visit him. (Ahem.) And if we happen to meander near the Flying Iguana, well...

10 comments:

  1. My only experience of Fried Green Tomatoes was watching the film! I've never seen the dish in the UK.

    The Fish Inn, Amble Bay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a good recipe to share with you, then you could introduce it in the UK... but I've only made it once and it was not a hit.

      Delete
  2. Loved the movie and the book. So, one day I decided to make some fried green tomatoes when a son was visiting and they were really good. I'll have to consider doing that again this summer.

    @msdeniseh553
    Denise at My Life in Retirement Flanders Fields

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, now I need that recipe too! When I made them (once) it was a flop.

      Delete
  3. I heard of fried green tomatoes, but have never had the chance to try them. Maybe I should just make my own?

    Believe In Fairy Stories: Theme - Folklore & Fairy Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might have to make your own if you live in an area where they aren't offered in the restaurants. If you try a recipe and like it, let me know!

      Delete
  4. I've never had fried green tomatoes. Maybe I need to consider that my next culinary adventure ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What??? Those years spent in the South and you didn't try the fried green tomatoes? It definitely needs to be your next culinary adventure.

      Delete
  5. I'm so envious - ever since I saw that movie I wanted to try that dish but it's not something you see in the UK. Have to wait until I visit America again as that movie was released just after I had returned from the states.

    Pamela @ Highlands Days of Fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a good recipe for it to share. Hurry back to the USA!

      Delete