Monday, April 2, 2012

Johnny Depp on my mind.

Yep, Johnny Depp. I have him on my mind for the following reasons:
  • I finally saw the film Benny & Joon (1993). (Not sure why it took me so long to see it. I think I kept mixing up the title with Harold And Maude (1971), which I did see and have yet to recover.) Since I am a fan of several comedians of the silent movie era (especially Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin), I instantly liked Sam (Johnny Depp) and keep thinking about his comedic performances. The film was quirky and fun at times, but also unnerving to me since Joon was artistic, and had a mental illness. I sometimes worry about my artistic side driving me insane.
  • I saw a trailer for Dark Shadows (2012). I recall when I was in the sixth grade, my best friend was addicted to the gothic soap opera. She always wanted to hurry home to watch it. We didn't watch soap operas at my house, let alone vampire soaps, so the few times I watched it at her house I felt wicked...yet intrigued.  I have to admit I am intrigued again, and might go see the movie.
  • The Lone Ranger (2013), with Johnny Depp, is being filmed in Utah this summer, so I keep hearing the buzz about casting opportunities among local filmmakers. I had the chance to apply as an extra, but passed it up. I know. Crazy. See, my fears of insanity are valid!

2 comments:

  1. Benny & Joon is one of my favorite films. I also love "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" ... have you seen that one?

    I was a HUGE fan of Dark Shadows. My mother one time grounded me from watching it for one week as punishment for stealing girl scout cookies out of the freezer. It was like torture to not be able to watch it!!

    Give me odd movies any day of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I've never seen "What's Eating Gilbert Grape." Thanks to your comment, I added that movie to my Netflix queue. Sheesh. How can I call myself a Johnny Depp fan when I've missed so much of his work? (Which reminds me... I better add "Edward Schissorhands" too.)

    ReplyDelete